Privacy

If your name has been mentioned on any of the posts of this blog and you would like to have it omitted or removed, please contact me directly. --- Adriana Trevino

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Being Brave



Update as of 10-15-2018 -- The case has been dismissed by both parties.  As we have agreed to move forward, the dismissed case will remain confidential.

----

Last night a male friend of mine said to me that having all these details of my relationship with Victor over the internet was a big "turn off." His advice to me was not to talk about it. "And these lawsuits..." he started saying, "I did not start any of this" I interrupted. And not to talk about it??? It was not a choice for me anymore. My reputation and business were greatly damaged because of this. I had to clear my name somehow.

This friend then said, "you must have done something to make him do what he did to you." I don't believe I am responsible for Victor's actions. However, I would have to agree with my friend to some degree. This "Trevino-Alfieri Story" would have not happened if I had not stayed in a relationship with Victor - a relationship as a lover, friend or business partner. I chose to stay. I chose to trust him. I chose to invest in his film. I chose not to speak up when I disagreed. I always had a choice... And I certainly made a choice every time.

I finally feel that I am starting to recover from this whole experience. I believe I have come a long way. But, why am I so hurt by my friend's words?... So what am I supposed to do now? Should I take down this blog? Should I stop writing my book? Should I go curl up in a corner and swallow my truth? Should I shove this whole experience (the good and the bad) into a dark closet where "shameful" stories are to be hidden?

No! I have chosen to be brave and speak up. As to being courageous and honest, my friend Jane told me of a very popular song that addresses these two qualities. The song is "Brave" by Sara Bareilles. "Nothing's gonna hurt you the way that words do when they settle beneath your skin, kept on the inside and no sunlight. Sometimes the shadow wins. But I wonder what would happen if you say what you wanna say and let the words fall out. Honestly, I wanna see you be brave."

The lyrics to this great song speak to me loudly, just as I imagine they do to many other people. "Don't run, stop holding your tongue. Maybe there's a way out of the cage where you live. Maybe one of these days you can let the light in. Show me how big your brave is."

And the song goes on to say, "And since your history of silence won't do you any good. Did you think it would? Let your words be anything but empty. Why don't you tell them the truth?"

So I told my truth!!! And I continue sharing it with anyone who cares to read my words. Some will understand me a little better and will feel empathy. Some will be critical and will judge me. Others will get triggered or annoyed with my story and its details. Some might even take it personally... And maybe some will feel deeply touched and inspired to stop hiding and speak up their own truth.

---------------------

Thank you, Sara Bareilles for your wonderful uplifting and inspiring song.
I will keep it as part of my blog to remind us that we can all be brave and live in our truth!!!


"BRAVE"

You can be amazing
You can turn a phrase into a weapon or a drug
You can be the outcast
Or be the backlash of somebody's lack of love
Or you can start speaking up

Nothing's gonna hurt you the way that words do
When they settle 'neath your skin
Kept on the inside and no sunlight
Sometimes the shadow wins
But I wonder what would happen if you

Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

With what you want to say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

I just want to see you
I just want to see you
I just want to see you
I wanna see you be brave

I just want to see you
I just want to see you
I just want to see you
I wanna see you be brave

Everybody's been there, everybody's been stared down
By the enemy
Fallen for the fear and done some disappearing
Bow down to the mighty
Don't run, stop holding your tongue
Maybe there's a way out of the cage where you live
Maybe one of these days you can let the light in
Show me how big your brave is

Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

With what you want to say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

And since your history of silence
Won't do you any good
Did you think it would?
Let your words be anything but empty
Why don't you tell them the truth?

Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

With what you want to say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

I just want to see you
I just want to see you
I just want to see you
I want to see you be brave

I just want to see you
I just want to see you
I just want to see you
I want to see you be brave

I just want to see you
I just want to see you
I just want to see you
I want see you be brave

I just want to see you
I just want to see you
I just want to see you.

Songwriters
BAREILLES, SARA / ANTONOFF, JACK

Published by
Lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

-------------

There are two songs that remind me how important it is to speak up and tell my truth. "Brave," by Sara Bareilles is one, the other is Katy Perry's "Roar."  I found this interesting video on YouTube. 

I did have this very choice to make when I wrote this post - ""Roar" Vs. "Brave."
I chose "Brave." 




Disclaimer – As of October 15, 2018, all legal issues have been resolved. This resolution was reached during arbitration. There are no pending issues related to fraud or theft. The resolution was mutually agreeable. There will be no more posts written about this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment